S - T


162. STANKOVCI, a village in the region of Ravni Kotari, 20 km southeast of Benkovac.

The village dates back to the Middle Ages; occupied by the Turks in the 16th and the 17th centuries. One of the oldest early Croatian graveyards (8th c.) was excavated on the locality of Klarića Kuće. Historical buildings include the parish church of the Assumption from 1885, and the mediaeval churches of St. Nicholas and St. Mary, both from the 15th century.
Banjevci, a village in Ravni Kotari, 21 km south of Benkovac. The church of St. John is an example of the fortified Romanesque church typical of northern Dalmatia. The belfry, in the form of a massive tower, erected on the front, covers the broad side of this one-nave structure.
Morpolača, a village 5 km southwest of Bribir. The Romanesque church of St. Peter with a belfry on the front and a semicircular apse is situated on the old graveyard. There are several stelae on the graveyard around the church. In the vicinity of nearby Škorića Kuća several early Croatian graves with arms, tools, ceramics and jewellery were found.

163. STARI GRAD, a town and harbour on the north-western part of the island of Hvar.
The original habitation (Faros) was a Greek colony, established in 384 BC. The remains from the Roman and early Christian periods (mosaics covered by a sidewalk; the early Christian baptismal font and the church of St. John annexed in the 15th c.) bear witness to the continuity of life in Stari Grad. In 1205 Stari Grad was called Civitas Vetus. - Tvrdalj (built c. 1520), a fortified villa of the poet Petar Hektorović, with Croatian and Latin inscriptions, a fish pond surrounded by arches and a park, is situated in the centre of the town. The Hektorović monument (a work by Ivan Mirković, 1956) stands on the square in front of the villa, and to the left is the Renaissance church of St. Roch (St. Rocco) built by Hektorović in 1569. The Baroque parish church of St. Stephen was built in the 17th and the 18th centuries. Stone blocks originating from the Greek walls and a relief depicting an ancient boat are built in the free-standing campanile (1753). The Duimičić Chapel features a triptych by Francesco da Santacroce (16th c.). The Dominican monastery was founded in 1482, burnt down during the Turkish assaults in 1571, later restored and fortified with a tower. The monastery keeps an old library and archives, a collection of paintings, stone monuments, a numismatic collection and a collection of fossils. The small church of St. Nicholas, with a wooden, gold-plated Baroque altar (the statues were made by A. Porri in the 17th c.) is near the monastery. - The picturesque square Škor, from the Baroque period, lies in the eastern part of the town. The houses of the families Machiedo, Politeo, Gelineo-Bervaldi, built between the 16th and the 18th centuries, are among the best examples of the town's architecture. Two collections (by Petar Ružević and Vladimir Vranković) keep interesting cultural and historical artefacts and archives. The house of Juraj Bijankini (19th c.) houses the gallery of the painter Juraj Plančić. The Renaissance church of St. Jerome, with a relief depicting a saint (15th c.) on its front, is on the way to the public beach.

164. STARIGRAD, a town and small harbour on the coast of the Velebit Channel, not far from Velika Paklenica, 45 km south of Karlobag.
Populated ever since the Roman period (Argyruntum). Emperor Tiberius chartered the town in AD 34-35, grating it the municipal rights; the town was then fortified. - The settlement was abandoned in the 16th c. due to the Turkish raids, to be re-established in the 17th century. The ruins of Većka Tower, dating probably from the period of Turkish invasion, rise on Cape Kula. To the left of the Adriatic Main Road is the pre-Romanesque small church of St. Peter (when the church was built in the 11th and the 12th centuries, the ancient necropolis from the 1st and the 2nd centuries was discovered). There are about 20 stelae around, and three in the church.

165. STOBREČ, a town in central Dalmatia, 6 km southeast of Split.
Originally a Greek colony, Stobreč became later the Roman settlement Epetium. The monastery buildings were reconstructed on the ruins of the early Christian basilica of St. Lawrence, and where the apse of the basilica used to be, the small early Christian small church of St. Lawrence was erected (later Our Lady of Mount Carmel).
Žrnovnica, a village 12 km east of Split. First mentioned in 1080. Known in the Middle Ages for its water mills and salterns. From 1420 it represented the border between the Venetian and -Turkish territories. The church of St. Michael, built in the 13th and the 14th centuries, has Romanesque and Gothic elements; early Christian fragments were built into the church. The parish church of St. Mary (1727), from the Baroque period, reconstructed in the 19th century, has a relief featuring a rider, decorated with "pleter" (interlacery ornamentation); the pavement of the church has sepulchral slabs from the 15th century.

166. STOMORSKA, a village on the north-eastern coast of the island of Šolta.
The settlement started to develop from the beginning of the 18th century. Above Stomorska, on the slope of Vela Straža Hill, the Baroque church of Our Lady in the Pines (Madonna with Child, painting on the wood, with Baroque silver frame, a work by the local school, 15th-16th c.) is situated. The graveyard around the church has fragments of the ancient sarcophagi.

167. STON, a town and harbour in southern Dalmatia, on the extreme north-west of the Ston Channel and the isthmus of the same name connecting the Pelješac Peninsula with the mainland, 59 km northwest of Dubrovnik.
Roman settlement Stagnum. The foundations of the Roman castrum can still be seen on Starigrad Hill. In the 10th century Ston was the seat of the diocese, probably located by the church of Our Lady of Lužina. The present Ston was founded in 1333, as soon as Du-brovnik got hold of Pelješac. The town was fortified by 980-m long walls, forming an irregular pentagon, with more massive towers on the corners. From the north-western corner the walls rise to the top of Pozvizd Hill, where they merge with Pozvizd Fortress, and from the north-eastern corner they follow the line of the isthmus to coalesce with the walls of Mali Ston. The most massive fortress of Stone, Veliki Kaštio, rises on the south-western corner. The wall east of it was running along the coast which borders with the saltworks of Ston between the coast and the sea. The huge fortified complex was built by Dubrovnik between 1333 and 1506. Famous masters include: Župan Bunić 1455, Bernardin from Parma 1461, Olivier the French 1472-1478 and Paskoje Miličević 1488-1506. The school of Ston was mentioned already in 1389, the almshouse in 1485 (the building still stands there), and the orphanage in 1494. The most representative secular buildings within the walls are the Chancery of the Dubrovnik Republic, built in Gothic and Renaissance styles, Sorkočević Palace and the former bishop's palace (1573; elements of late Renaissance and the arcade accommodating a collection of stone monuments). The former Renaissance Duke's Palace was expanded and reconstructed in the 19th century. The Franciscan monastery with its Gothic-Renaissance style cloister and the Romanesque-Gothic church of St. Nicholas date back to 1347. The complex holds several pieces of art: a big painted crucifix (a work by Blaž Juraj Trogiranin), the silver frame of the missal, the Gothic wooden statue of St. Nicholas, etc. On the location of the present pseudo-Gothic church of St. Blaise (from 1870) there used to be a 16th-century cathedral (collapsed in the earthquake of 1850); the only preserved remains were the wooden statues of St. Blaise, Sts. Peter and Paul, the icon of Our Lady (by Andrea Rizzo). The parish church of the Annunciation was erected in the 15th century outside the walls, on the location of the former parish church of Our Lady of Lužina. The sacristan's loggia with two big bells (cast by Ivan Rabljanin in 1528) is in front of the church. The well-preserved pre-Romanesque church of St. Michael (9th c.), with valuable early Romanesque mural paintings (featuring the king donor and saints) rises on the St. Michael hill. There are several other old churches in the surroundings of Ston, most of them in ruins now. These are the church of St. Peter with a memorial chapel (probably the first cathedral of Ston), St. Magdalene on the Gorica hill (sarcophagus, fragments of mural paintings), St. John and St. Stephen (within which the foundations of a pre-Romanesque church have been dis-covered), the early Romanesque church of St. Martin and the reconstructed Romanesque church of Our Lady of Luina.
Doli, a village on the north-eastern coast of the Koločep Channel, between Ston and Slano. First mentioned in the 15th century. It consists of three hamlets: Đonta Doli, Zaton Doli and Luka Doli. The church of the Assumption from the 16th century, with ornamented stelae around it, is in Đonta Doli. A square tower, erected to fight back pirates' attacks, is within the village. The parish church of Sts. Peter and Paul, with fragments of early Christian plastic forms, is in Zaton Doli. Rural architecture is characterized by specific local elements (closed wells and other).
Lužine, a locality in the Stonsko Field. The Romanesque-Gothic monumental church of Our Lady of Lužina has several built-in "pleter" (interlacery ornamentation) fragments originating from an earlier church; fragments of mural paintings dating from the 16th century can be seen on the church walls. A 15th-century sepulchral slab with a Gothic inscription is in front of the church. The massive tower rising above the vestibule was erected in the 19th century.
Ponikve, a village in the south-east of Pelješac, 4 km west of Ston. In Gudnja Cave, on Porač Hill, painted pottery from the early Neolithic (the so-called Gudnja culture) was excavated. The church of St. George from the end of the 12th century is by the road. The 12th-century church of Sts. Philip and James, situated on the graveyard of the hamlet of Metohija, was turned into an apse of a later Renaissance church. The summer mansion of the Dubrovnik aristocratic family Đurđević is in Ponikve.
Prapratna, a hamlet in the cove of the same name on the south-eastern coast of the Pelješac Peninsula, 3 km southwest of Ston. It has a nice beach and campsite; ruins of a mediaeval small church can be seen on the hill above the hamlet.

168. SUĆURAJ, a village and small harbour in the cove of the same name, on the eastern part of the island of Hvar.
Colonized probably in the mid-15th century. The Augustinian monks arrived here in 1573 and of their monastery only a part has been preserved. The fortification was erected by Venice in 1631. A picturesque square is in front of the Baroque church of St. Anthony (1664).
Bogomolje, a village 16 km west of Sućuraj. The Baroque parish church of Our Lady of the Annunciation dates back to the 17th century. There are the oldest preserved simple houses roofed over with stone plates in the village, as well as olive oil storage stone basins, stone presses for olives and other.

169. SUKOŠAN, a town and small harbour in a vast bay (Luka Sukošan), 11 km southeast of Zadar.
The parish church of St. Kasijan, erected probably in the 11th century (fragments with of "pleter" motifs - interlacery ornamentation), assumed its present aspect in the 17th century. A small church from the 17th century rises on the graveyard. Fragments with "pleter" (interlacery ornaments) are incorporated in its door-posts and on the front. - The ruins of the 15th-century summer villa of the archbishops of Zadar can be seen on an islet in the bay. The ruins of the mediaeval fortress erected by the counts of Bribir rise on Cape Bribirčina. - A mediaeval chapel is situated around 3.5 km on the road to the north-east of the village.

170. SUMARTIN, a village and harbour in the cove of the same name on the south-eastern coast of the island of Brač.
Sumartin was established around 1645 by refugees from the coastal region of Makarska fleeing from the Turks (the only place on the island of Brač in which the Štokavian dialect, or standard Croatian, is spoken). The Franciscan monastery, whose foundations (1747) were laid by the most published Croatian poet Father Andrija Kačić Miošić, who, according to the chronicles, was carrying the stones on his back, has its own archives and mu-seum. The museum has recently been modernized, so that, apart from several valuable Venetian Baroque paintings, portolans (multicoloured navigation charts drawn by hand), it holds jewellery, the new coat of arms of the monastery, ethnographic collection, etc. On the area of Glavica above the village, the pre-Romanesque church of St. Nicholas with a dome (10th c.) rises. It is considered to be the votive church of the seafarers, having maintained its sacral function up to now.

171. SUPETAR, a town and harbour on the northern coast of the island of Brač.
Supetar was inhabited already in the Neolithic (Kopačina Cave near the town) and the ancient per-iods (early Christian sarcophagi by the church on the graveyard). The parish church with a monumental stairway (on the ruins of the original basilica from the 5th century) was built in 1733, expanded in 1887. It keeps paintings of the local Baroque painter Feliks Tironi. The Baroque altar palla is a work by an anonymous 18th-century Venetian painter. There are several tombstones, made by Ivan Rendić from Supetar, on the graveyard. The Mausoleum of the Petrinović family, with portraits and statues, is a work by Tomo Rosandić. - The pre-Romanesque small church of St. Luke from the 11th and the 12th centuries is located on the road to Donji Humac.
Donji Humac, a village in the interior of the island of Brač, 9 km south of Supetar. The small pre-Romanesque church of St. Elias, typical of the southern Croatian coastline, is situated near the village. The parish church features 13th-century Romanesque frescos.

172. SUTIVAN (Stivan), a village and harbour in the extreme west of the northern coast of the island of Brač, 7 km west of Supetar.
The foundations of an early Christian church, within which the church of St. John was erected in 1579, have been preserved. - The Renaissance parish church dating from the 16th century was later reconstructed in Baroque style. The Baroque belfry was erected by Pavao Bruttapelle at the end of the 18th century. The church keeps an altarpiece featuring Our Lady of the Rosary, a 17th-century work of a central Italian school. - The citadel of the Marjanović Family (1777) rises on the coast, with a sun dial on its front. The Natali-Božičević House originates from the Renaissance period. The summer mansion with a park by the poet Jeronim Kavanjin (17th-18th c.) dates from the Baroque period as well as the Ilić Park. The Definis house accommodates a collection of furniture and works of art from the beginning of the 19th century.

173. SUTOMIŠĆICA, a village and small harbour in the Sutomišćica cove in the Zadar Channel on the central part of the eastern coast of the island of Ugljan, 2 km north of Preko.
The parish church dedicated to St. Euphemia was first mentioned in 1349; the present Baroque church was built in 1679. The St. Jerome altar is ornamented with a valuable painting by an anonymous Venetian master. The summer villa of the noble family of the Lantanas dating from 1686, with a large park and a chapel, is a fine example of a Baroque castle with Venetian elements; it used to host the takeover ceremony of duties of Italian governors in charge of Dalmatia and Albania.

174. SVETA NEDJELJA (Sveta Nedilja), a village on the southern slopes of the island of Hvar, 12 km southeast of Hvar; elevation 5 m.
The location of Sveta Nedjelja was mentioned in the Hvar Statute of 1331 as Plaže. A cave with Neo-lithic excavations, later the abode of the Augustinian monks, abandoned in 1798, is located near the village. The parish church of St. Spyridon keeps the altarpiece featuring St. Jerome in the Desert by Baldassaro d'Anno and a painting by the Venetian painting school from the 17th and the 18th centuries, and the chapel on the graveyard features the Crucifixion by Juraj Plančić from 1924.

175. SVETI FILIP I JAKOV, a small town on the coast of the Pašman Channel, 3 km northwest of Biograd na Moru.
In the period before the Turkish raids, the town was a harbour of the Benedictine monastery in Rogov, the ruins of which, with the preserved early Romanesque church of St. Roch (St. Rocco) stand to the northeast of the town. The present town was founded after the Turks had withdrawn in the 17th and the 18th centuries. The 18th-century church of St. Michael is a reconstructed Gothic structure, from which the inscription and the coat of arms of the Rogov abbot Petar Zadranin (second half of the 14th c.) originate. The church has a monumental wooden crucifix dating back to the end of the 14th century.

176. ŠĆEDRO, an island in the central part of the Korčula Channel; separated from the southern coast of the island of Hvar by the Šćedranski Channel.
There are several prehistoric tumuli. In the Rake caves fragments of the mosaic from a Roman villa rustica were found. The Mostir cove contains the ruins of a Dominican monastery built in the 16th century, abandoned at the end of the 18th century as well as of an early Christian church reconstructed in the Middle Ages. - It seems that Šćedro is identical to the ancient island of Tauris near which the famous battle between the Caesar's and Pompey's fleets took place (47 BC).

177. ŠIBENIK, a city and port in northern Dalmatia, not far from the estuary of the Krka river into the Bay of Šibenik, connected by narrow straits with the Šibenik Channel. The city, with the old fortresses of St. Anne, St. John and Šubićevac overlooking it, consists of the Old Town, characterized by narrow and steep alleys in the west, and the modern part in the north and south-east. Šibenik is a cultural centre: the International Child's Festival.
Šibenik was first mentioned in 1066, in a document issued by King Petar Krešimir IV who stayed in the fortified citadel of St. Michael, today St. Anne's Fortress. From 1116 to 1124 and between 1125 and 1133 Šibenik was under Venetian rule. The Hungarian-Croatian king Stephen IV chartered Šibenik in 1167. After a short-lived rule of the Byzantine empire (until 1180), the town was fought over by Hungarian-Croatian kings, Venice, the Bosnian king Tvrtko and Duke Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić. From 1412 to 1797 again under the power of Venice. From 1797 to 1918 (except for a short period of the French occupation) Šibenik was, together with the rest of Dalmatia, absorbed by the Austro-Hungarian Empire. At the end of the First World War it was occupied by Italy but was returned to the parent country under the Treaty of Rapallo (1920). - Šibenik is the birthplace of three humanists: Juraj Šižgorić (around 1420- 1509), Antun Vrančić (1504-1573) and Faust Vrančić (1551-1617), of the writer Nikola Tommaseo (1802-1874) and many others.

The church of St. Francis with the Franciscan monastery is situated between the pier and the central square Poljana, on the left. The one-nave Gothic church (from the 14th c.) has a richly carved coffered ceiling (17th c.), and altars made by Iseppo Ridolfi in Venice in 1653, according to Jerolimo Mondella's design. The monastery collection holds several codices (the oldest from the 11th c.), incunabula and old books. The theatre house is on the western part of the Poljana. The Orthodox parish church, originally a church within the Benedictine nuns' monastery (1390), is to the left, in Zagrebačka Street; it has a belfry "na preslicu" on the main front (from the late 16th c.), one of the most beautiful bell towers of that type on the Croatian coast. Farther down the street there is the church of St. John the Baptist (once the church of the Holy Trinity, reconstructed after 1485) with an attached exterior staircase, built by Ivan Pribislavljić in 1460. The New Church, with -Gothic and Renaissance elements, is situated nearby; the belfry was built by Ivan Skoko in the period 1742-1759. The coffered painted church ceiling (1623-1632) is a work by Jerolim Mondella and his disciplesl and the frescoes were made by Mihovil Parkić (1619) and Antun Moneghin (1628). The oldest core of the town lies in the continuation of Zagrebačka Street (several old patrician houses). Its irregular network of streets is adjusted to the slope of the hill with the Fortress of St. Anne on its top, the oldest defence fortress of Šibenik (reinforced in the 16th and 17th c.); the fortress, with the city graveyard below, offers a marvellous view on the city and its surroundings. The old core includes the Gothic Fosclo Palace, the Orsini Palace (from 1455 owned by Juraj Dalmatinac), with a rich portal, then the church of St. Lawrence (Baroque building from 1677-1697); the monastery collection keeps a painting by Juraj Ćulinović; the church of St. Dominic is on the coast. The Cathedral of St. James (Sv. Jakov) is on the way to the centre of the town. The Juraj Dalmatinac monument (a work by Ivan Meštrović) is situated on the square. The construction of the Cathedral, the most monumental Gothic-Renaissance building on the Croatian Adriatic coast, began in 1432; it was consecrated only in 1555. After several masters from the Venetian territory, the sculptor Juraj Dalmatinac (George of Dalmatia) was appointed protomaster (signature on the choir pilaster between two little angels) and worked on the construction, with some interruptions, until his death (1475). He finished the lower part of the building, the apses with the frieze of portraits (71) and the baptistery (1452) underneath the southern apse, added a short transept to the original structure and designed the dome. His closest associate was Ivan Pribislavljić. On the death of Juraj, the supervision of construction was assigned to Nicholas of Florence (Nikola Firentinac). The vault and the dome, constructed by means of a unique system of intergrooved stone plates, originate from this period. A gallery was built above the side chapels (six on each side). The first chapel on the right contains the Juraj Šižgorić epitaph (by George of Dalmatia, 1456), the first chapel on the left the 16th-century sarcophagus of Ivan Stafilić. The cross on the altar of the Holy Cross is a work by Juraj Petrović (1455), the Sts. Fabian and Sebastian altar is decorated with a painting by Filippo Zaninberti from the beginning of the 17th century. The pulpit, carved in wood, is a work by Jerolim Mondella (1624). The small posts supporting the choir fence were made by Nicholas of Florence, and the statue of one of the two prophets (Eligius) is a work by Pavao Gospodnetić, dating from 1595. The main altar dates back to 1638. From the apse in the south one stairway leads to the sacristy (with carved closets made by Jerolim Mondella) and the other to the baptistery, a work by George the Dalmatian. - The Town Loggia, once the seat of the town council, erected between 1533 and 1542, stands on the square, opposite the northern side of the Cathedral. The church of St. Barbara (1457- 1461, constructed by Ivan Pribislavljić) is situated opposite the Cathedral apses; it houses the Collection of Church Art (two polyptychs, one by Blaž Trogiranin and the other by Nikola Vladanov). The old bishop's palace (1439-1441), with a late Gothic churchyard (portico in the ground floor), leans on the side of the Cathedral turned to the coast. The Sea Gate (Morska Vrata), the entrance into town from the coast, still stands there. The former Duke's Palace (now the Museum of the City of šibenik, with archaeological, archival and numismatic collections) is also on the coast. The late Renaissance church of St. Nicholas, with the coffered vault (1762), is another building situated on the coast. From the Poljana the way ascends to the Šubićevac Fortress; St. John's Fortress, the highest fortress of Šibenik (125 m) rises farther uphill to the northwest.

Bilice, a village 4 km north of Šibenik. On the locality of Dedića Punta the ruins of an ancient Roman country mansion and an early Christian basilica were excavated.

Danilo, an area comprising three villages (Danilo Gornje, Danilo Biranj, Danilo Kraljice), situated in the hinterland of Šibenik. Important archaeological sites with excavations from the prehistoric, ancient and early Croatian periods. The remains of a habitation from the New Stone Age (earth-huts) were found in the middle of the Danilsko Field, on the locality of Bitinj. The ruins of settlements form the Iron Age and the ancient Roman period, the Illyrian Rider (32 rectangular houses, dry construction, partly built into the cliff) were found on the Gradina hill. In the Roman period, the settlement developed into a municipality (municipium Rider), with a new settlement having developed below; a large residential block of houses with an open area in the centre and thermal baths, on the location on which the early Christian basilica was erected subsequently. The hamlet of Biranj is known for the fragments of buildings, inscriptions and tombs dating from the Roman period, as well as for the reliefs representing Diana, Mercury and Pan. Foundations of an earlier building were found near the church of St. Peter, fragments of the church furnishings adorned with "pleter" (interlacery ornamentation) and mediaeval inscriptions. There are several stelae around the church.

Donje Polje, a village 3 km southeast of Šibenik. The location Grušine (Morinje) contains the ruins of an ancient large complex of a country villa with farm houses. Several Roman epitaphs and early Croatian graves with jewellery were found on the graveyard near the church of St. Lawrence. On the location Kosa, an early Croatian graveyard from the 9th and the 10th centuries (130 graves) was found and explored. Up to nowadays the small Romanesque and Gothic churches of St. Mary, Our Lady of Gribalj, St. Sylvester, St. George and St. Lawrence have been preserved either completely or partially.

Jadrtovac, a village on the coast of the channel of the same name and the bay of Morinj, 8 km southeast of Šibenik. The ruins of an early Christian church were found on the location Vrutci. Of the citadel of the Andreis family from the 16th and the 17th centuries only a part of the battlement with merlons and one tower have survived, the latter being converted into a house of the Mediterranean type. The church dedicated to St. Mary was built in the 17th century and reconstructed in the 18th century. The main late Baroque altar, with the original polychrome decoration, dates back to 1790; the paintings representing the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. George date from the same period.

178. ŠIPAN, the largest of the Elaphite Islands, 17 km northwest of Dubrovnik; separated from the mainland coast by the Koločepski Channel.

The island was first mentioned under its present name in 1371. The ruins of a Roman villa have been excavated in Šipanska Luka. The island has several architectural monuments from the Middle Ages: the ruins of the St. Peter's church on Velji Vrh (11th c.), the small church of St. John with frescoes (11th c., expanded in the 15th c.) in Šilovo Selo, and the pre-Romanesque church of St. Michael (11th c.) within the complex of the Benedictine monastery in Pakljena, a house with Romanesque and Gothic elements, a Gothic tower and the Renaissance church of the Holy Spirit from 1569. The Dubrovnik aristocracy built their summer villas on Šipan in the 15th century. In Šipanska Luka, with the late Gothic parish church of St. Stephen containing the paintings by Pantaleone (second half of the 15th c.), the summer villa of the Sorkočević family (15th c.) stands out. In the 15th century the Gothic Duke's Palace with double windows on the front (and an inscription from 1450 above the Gothic gate leading to the yard) was built above Šipanska Luka. Suđurađ has a fortified castle built by Tomo Stjepović-Skočibuha in 1539; his son Vice erected a high tower (1577) by the castle. The ruins of the summer residence of the Dubrovnik archbishops can be seen between Šipanska Luka and Suđurađ, in which the humanist Lodovico Beccadelli (1501-1572) used to stay. The ruins of a small castle in which, a legend has it, the king of Naples Renato Anjou (15th c.) used to stay, are in Renatovo a coat of arms with the inscription "Renatus rex justus" has been found there.

179. ŠKRIP, a village in the interior of the central part of the island of Brač, 2 km south of Splitska;

Around the mediaeval architectural complex with the tower of Radojković's Citadel monumental prehistoric walls have been preserved. The lower part of the tower represents the ruins of a Roman mausoleum. Sarcophagi dating back to the early Christian period were found near Cerinić's Citadel, and the stone quarry from the Roman period lies in the surroundings. In the stone quarry Rasoke the relief featuring Heracles (3rd - 4th c.), carved in live rock, was found. The early mediaeval church of the Holy Spirit on the graveyard has undergone several adaptations. In 1618 a big castle of the Cerineo Cerinić family was built in the centre of the village (housing the Brač Museum), and the Baroque parish church with the richly adorned front is near the castle. The altar is ornamented with four paintings by Jacopo Palma the Younger.

180. ŠOLTA, an island in the central Dalmatian archipelago, west of the island of Brač;

The island was first mentioned by Pseudoscylax (4th c. BC) under the name of Olyntha. The Romans called it Solenta, and in the Statute of Split (14th c.) it was called Solta. - The island has revealed the ruins of a prehistoric settlement (hill-fort Gradac) and another one from the Roman period (Rogač, Grohote, Nečujam). When the Slavs and Avars destroyed Salona at the beginning of the 7th century, a group of the refugees from Salona fled to Šolta. In the Middle Ages the island was attacked on several occasions by Omiš (1240) and Venice (1387 and 1418). Mediaeval monuments are found on the localities in Sveti Mihovil in the Grohote Field, Donje Selo, Nečujam and Stomorica above Stomorska (the Benedictine monastery). On the fall of Klis (1537) the island was inhabited by the refugees from the mainland.

181. TISNO, a town on the eastern coast of the island of Murter, partly spreading on the mainland (the Tišnjanski Peninsula), 29 km northwest of Šibenik;

First mentioned in 1474. The parish church of 1548 was reconstructed in Baroque style in 1640, and annexed in 1840; the belfry was built by the local builders between 1680 and 1684. Other churches date back to the 17th century. A mediaeval church of St. Martin is in Ivinje, a hamlet on the mainland.

182. TKON, a town and small harbour on the southern part of the eastern coast of the island of Pašman.

The parish church of St. Thomas was erected in 1742. The main altar features the Virgin Mary, a painting attributed to the Zadar painter Petar Jordanić from the end of the 15th century.

Čokovac, a fortified monastery of the Benedictine Glagolitic monks, was built in 1125 after Biograd had been devastated by Venice. The Romanesque one-nave church of Sts. Cosmas and Damian was reconstructed in Gothic style; the vault over the sanctuary has both cross and rib elements; two Gothic portals. The main portal with the statue of Madonna and Child Enthroned dates back to the beginning of the 15th century. The church keeps a valuable painted cross by an anonymous Gothic painter. The monastery has remains of the Romanesque architecture, a Gothic double window, a Glagolitic inscription from 1517 referring to the construction of the refectory as well as coats of arms of the abbots.

183. TRIBUNJ, a town and harbour on a small peninsula, 4 km west of Vodice;

The original settlement developed on the island in the 16th century. It was established by the refugees from the neighbouring settlements on the mainland. Fragments of the defence wall dating to the period of Venetian rule have been preserved. The old town Jurjevgrad contains the ruins of the mediaeval fortress and the church of St. Nicholas from 1452. Another mediaeval church is to the east of the town.

184. TRILJ, a town on the southern rim of the Sinjsko Field, on the right bank of the Cetina river, 14 km southeast of Sinj.

Trilj developed at the intersection of the ancient Roman roads to Narona and Bosnia. The Roman settlement Tilurium used to rise on the hill called Gardun. The fortification was first mentioned in the 6th century, and its strategic importance made Venice to use it until the end of the 17th century. Borinovac, a late mediaeval graveyard with stelae, is situated on the slope of the hill, on the left bank of the Cetina river.

185. TROGIR, a town and harbour on the coastal strip of the Kaštela Gulf, 27 km west of Split;

In the 3rd century BC a Greek settlement Tragurion which developed into a major port in the Roman period. Sudden prosperity of Salona deprived Trogir of its importance. During the Croatian migration the citizens of the destroyed Salona escaped to Trogir. From the 9th century Trogir was paying tribute to the Croatian rulers. The diocese of Trogir was established in the 11th century (abolished in 1828) and in 1107 it was chartered by the Hungarian-Croatian king Koloman, gaining thus its autonomy as a town. In 1123 it was conquered and almost completely demolished by the Saracens. However, Trogir recovered in a short period to experience a powerful economic prosperity in the 12th and the 13th centuries. In 1242 King Bela IV found refuge there as he was running from the Tatars. In the 13th and the 14th centuries the members of the Šubić line were most frequently elected dukes by the citizens of Trogir; Mladen III (1348), according to the inscription on the sepulchral slab in the Cathedral of Trogir, called "the shield of the Croats", was one of the most prominent Šubićs. In 1420 the period of a long-term Venetian rule began. On the fall of Venice in 1797 Trogir came under the Austrian power, which lasted until 1918 (except for the per-iod under the French rule 1806-1814). In 1918 it was returned to the parent country.

The old core on the small island, inscribed in 1997 in the UNESCO World Heritage List, developed between the 13th and the 15th centuries within the city walls, reconstructed by Venice in the 15th century. Two of the buildings from the same century, which have survived up to now, are Kamerlengo Citadel and St. Mark's Tower. The older, eastern part of the town spread around the main square with the Cathedral. The western part, Pasika, was settled later. A new settlement on the island of Čiovo dates back to the period of wars with the Turks. The city walls were destroyed at the beginning of the 19th century. - Trogir used to be one of the most significant cultural centres of Dalmatia. Master Radovan (13th c.), 15th-century sculptors and builders Ivan Budislavljić, Matej Gojković, Nikola Firentinac (Nicholas of Florence), Andrija Aleši, Ivan Duknović (Trogir-born) and Blaž Jurjev Trogiranin, 15th and 16th-century humanists Petar and Koriolan Ćipiko as well as Fran Trankvil Andreis, a friend of Erasmus of Rotterdam, and the 17th-century historian Ivan Lučić - they all worked and lived in Trogir.

The late Renaissance city gate (17th c.) represents the northern entrance into the town. The narrow and picturesque alleys with several beautiful palaces (the Baroque Garanjin-Fanfogna Palace, now the Town Museum collection of stone monuments) lead to the square Narodni Trg. The three-nave Cathedral of St. Lawrence (13th - 15th c.) is to the north. Through a vestibule one reaches the main gate, the Radovan's Portal, made by Master Radovan and his co-workers, in 1240. The sides of the portal feature lion figures, with the figures of Adam and Eve above them. The outer pilasters represent saints, the central genre scenes symbolizing the calendar months, and the small posts feature hunting scenes and various fantastic animals framed by lavish floral decoration. The lunette features the Nativity of Christ. The baptismal font dating from 1467, the most important preserved work by Andrija Aleši, is on the other end of the vestibule. The relief Baptism of Our Lord is above the gate, and the altar with the statue of St. John the Baptist is in the interior, with the relief featuring St. Jerome in the Cave. The Cathedral accommodates an octagonal stone pulpit from the 13th century, Gothic choir stalls (Ivan Budislavljić, 1439), a 14th-century ciborium with figures of the Annunciation (Master Mavro), and the pillars and altars are decorated with paintings representing Augustin Kažotić (Jacopo Palma the Younger, 1599), the Entombment and St. Magdalene (Padovanino), etc. The northern nave contains the chapel of the Bl. Ivan Ursini, the most beautiful Renaissance monument in Dalmatia. It was erected between 1468 and 1497 by Nicholas of Florence (Nikola Firentinac), and two statues were made by Ivan Duknović (St.Thomas from 1508 and St. John the Evangelist). The sacristy accommodates the paintings representing St. Jerome and St. John the Baptist (Gentile Bellini) and a late Gothic closet (a work by Grgur Vidov, 1458). The most representative holdings of the treasury of the Cathedral are the ivory Gothic triptych and several mediaeval illuminated codices. The early Gothic first floor of the belfry was finished by Matej Gojković (1422) who erected, together with the master Stjepan, the second floor characterized by the richly ornamented Venetian Gothic; the third floor was constructed by Trifun Bokanić (1592-1610) in late Renaissance style. Statues of the four evangelists (Allesandro Vittoria, 16th c.) rise on the top of the belfry. The Town Loggia from the 15th century is on the southern end of the square; it features two reliefs: The Justice (Nicholas of Florence, 1471) and Viceroy (ban) Berislavić (by I. Meštrović). The town clock tower, once the small Renaissance church of St. Sebastian (the statues of Christ and St. Sebastian on the front were probably made by Nicholas of Florence) rises near the Loggia. The three-nave early mediaeval church of St. Barbara (11th c.), the oldest church in Trogir preserved in its original form, is situated behind the Loggia. The complex of the Cipiko Palace, consisting of a big palace - portal (I. Duknović), and a small palace, separated by an alley, closes the western part of the square. Opposite of the Palace is the 15th-century Town Hall, with its Romanesque façade overlooking the square; the Gothic yard comprises coats of arms and a stone head (the legend has it that it represents the sculptor Matej Gojković).

A street along the Town Hall leads to the coast, where the Romanesque church of St. John the Baptist (13th c.), with the ruins of mediaeval walls, is situated. The church accommodates the tomb of the Cipiko family, the relief representing The Mourning of Christ (Nicholas of Florence, around 1470); the church has recently established a picture gallery (Pinakoteka) with paintings (14th to 17th c.), statues and codices. The way farther down the coast leads to the Renaissance town gate; the Benedictine nuns' monastery (founded in 1064, expanded in the 16th c.) with the church of St. Nicholas is to the right. The Renaissance bell tower was erected in 1598.

The collection of the monastery keeps the relief depicting Kairos, the Romanesque-style Madonna with Child, a painted Gothic crucifix, etc. The way leads by the stone pole on which the flag was raised - Štandarac (1605) to the Renaissance Lučić Palace (1604), with a nice portal and a courtyard. The street to the right leads to the Renaissance church of St. Peter (Baroque main altar). West of Lučić Palace is the monastery and the church of St. Dominic, a one-nave structure from the 14th century with Baroque altars. The church portal is a work by Master Nicholas from 1372. The church houses the tomb of the Sobota family (Nicholas of Florence, 1469) and the painting representing The Circumcision of Christ (Jacopo Palma the Younger, 1607); the monastery collection features a Gothic polyptych (Blaž Trogiranin). The isolated belfry (1595) of the church of St. Michael, destroyed during bombardment in 1944, rises to the northwest of the monastery. The Kamerlengo Citadel, once connected with the city walls, rises in the south-western part of the small island. The high tower of the citadel represents an expansion of the earlier Genoa Tower from 1380. The present aspect of the Castle dates from the 15th century. North of the Castle is the round tower of St. Mark from the 15th century and the classicist gloriette between the Castle and the tower originates from the period under the French occupation. - The town graveyard, 2 km northeast of Trogir, accommodates the relief of Our Lord (Nicholas of Florence).

186. TRPANJ, a town and harbour on the northern coast of the Pelješac Peninsula, 11 km northeast of Orebić.

Once an important harbour of Pelješac, Trpanj developed near a Roman villa (fragments of mosaics and walls on the old graveyard). Ruins of a mediaeval fortress rise on the hill above the port. The church of Our Lady of Karmen (Renaissance main altar with the coat of arms of the Gundulić family) is in the centre of the town. The new parish church was built in neo-Romanesque style; a 16-th century ornamented stone window of an older church has been preserved. A small chapel (inscription from 1695) with a wooden Baroque altar is on the edge of the village.

Duba Pelješka, a village and small port, 8 km west of Trpanj. Remains of a Roman building with mosaics have been excavated. Smaller yachts can dock on the pier providing protection from the bora and the sirocco. Duba has a beach offering nice swimming opportunities; campsite facilities.

187. TRSTENO, a village 24 km northwest of Dubrovnik.

At the end of the 15th century Ivan Gučetić built a summer villa with Gothic and Renaissance elements, including a chapel and a park (1494-1502); the villa was reconstructed after the earthquake of 1667. The park (arboretum) with exotic plants (gigantic plane-trees, palm-trees, camphor-trees) is adorned with stone pillars, and in 1736 a Baroque fountain featuring Neptune and nymphs was erected. - The parish church is a structure built in mixed Gothic and Renaissance styles with Baroque altars. The chapel of Our Lady of the Snows keeps an altarpiece of Madonna with Child by Pieter Coecke van Aelst (16th c.).

188. TUČEPI, a town in the littoral region of Makarska, 4 km southeast of Makarska.

The first settlement dates back to the ancient period. Fragments of furniture from an early Christian church of the 5th and the 6th centuries were excavated on the graveyard as well as several mediaeval tombstones. The present name of the town was first mentioned in 1434. The church of St. George was built at the end of the 13th century, distinguished by a mixed Romanesque and Gothic style. The 18th-century noble families of Ivanišević and Lučić-Pavlović from Makarska had Baroque villas built by the sea; the summer mansion of the abbot Grubišić is today Hotel Kaštelet. - The small Renaissance church of St. Michael and the church of St. Catherine can be visited in the hamlet of Pašalići.

189. TURANJ, a town and harbour on the coast of the Pašman Channel, 5 km northwest of Biograd na Moru.

Populated in the ancient period (Roman graves). The mediaeval settlement was destroyed during the Turkish raids; only the ruins of the fortification (with towers) have survived. The parish church, reconstructed on several occasions, was first mentioned in the 15th century. The lintel of a mediaeval church on the locality Tukljača mentions the Mogorović clan; a 15th-century sepulchral slab is in the interior of the church.



--------------------