A - Ć


1.BABINO POLJE, a village in the central part of the island of Mljet, 6 km southeast of the Sobra harbour, 18 km southeast of Polača. It lies in the field of the same name, at the foot of Veliki Grad (Big Town) (514 m), the highest peak of the island.
In the area are the churches of St. Andrew (Romanesque-Gothic), St. Michael ("pleter", i.e. interlacery ornaments), as well as the ruins of the churches of St. Pancras (pre-Romanesque) and St. George (13th c.). On the southern side of the village is the parish church of St. Blaise (mentioned in the 15th c.), reconstructed in recent times, after a fire. The church features a Romanesque processional crucifix from the 13th century. In front of the village is the former residence of the Venetian duke (dated 1554).

2.BAĆINA, a village in southern Dalmatia, 7 km west of Ploče. Economy is based on farming.
On the locality of Sladinac are the remains of antique walls and mosaics belonging to the Roman habitation Praetoria. The remains of an early Christian basilica from the 6th century have been found here. A necropolis of stelae, mostly sarcophagi and slabs, has been found next to the ruins of the church of St. Andrew.
Baćinska Jezera (Baćina Lakes), a series of interlinked freshwater karst lakes, 1.5 km north of Ploče. The lakes are surrounded by meadows and poplars, while the low, easily accessible coast comprises small beaches and picturesque groups of sedge and other aquatic plants. The lake surface is above and its bottom below the sea level; area 1.9 sq km; depth reaching 28 m. Water flows away from the lake through a tunnel (bored in 1911-1912) in the Bay of Ploče. Along the western and southern sides of Baćina Lakes runs the main road (M2).

3.BADIJA (Otok), a small island in the eastern part of the Pelješac Channel. The Ježevica Channel separates Badija from the island of Korčula.
The name Badija originates from the Latin name abbatia: abbey. A small church of St. Peter stood here and in 1368 the island was mentioned as "Scoleum sancti Petri"; the capitals (8th/9th c.) of four columns that support the small roof of the balcony on the south-western corner of the present mona-stery probably belonged to that church. In 1392 the area was inhabited by the Franciscans from Bosnia, who were granted a plot of land by the Korčula municipality, to build a monastery there. Later on, the entire island was bestowed upon them. The present monastery and the one-nave church were built in the late Gothic style, after 1420. The portal lunette comprises the figure of Our Lady with Child and two saints, an early Renaissance work by Korčula stonemasons. In front of the church are several gravestones (according to sources also the grave of Hranić Dragošević, one of the constructors of the bell tower of the Korčula cathedral from the 15th c.). The cloister with arcades, finished in 1477, has preserved all features of Dalmatian Gothic. The monastery was reconstructed in 1909 and in 1950 converted into a sports camp. - On a hill above the monastery is a small church of St. Catherine from the 15th-16th century.

4.BAŠKA VODA, a town and harbour on the Makarska littoral, 9.5 km northwest of Makarska.
The area was populated as early as antique times. On a plateau called Gradina, traces of a habitation and a late antique Byzantine fortification, perhaps Biston, have been found. On the southern side of the plateau, part of the fortification walls has been preserved, while several stelae from the 2nd to the 4th centuries have been found (now kept at the Archaeological Museum in Split). The late Baroque church of St. Lawrence was most probably built on an ancient locality. The parish church of St. Nicholas was built at the beginning of the 20th century; in 1991 a bell tower and the parsonage were added (Ante Rožić). The church features stained-glass windows by Josip Botteri-Dini and the paintings of the Way of the Cross by Josip Biffel (1989).

5.BENKOVAC, a town in northern Dalmatia, 20 km northeast of Biograd na Moru (Biograd on the Sea).
It was named after the Croatian dukes of Benkovići, first mentioned in the 15th century. The citadel features a high tower of a quadrangular ground-plan and two corner circular towers. In 1527 it came under the Turks. From the mid-19th century a marketplace developed below the citadel. In the vicinity is also a small church of St. Anthony (1743).
Donje Biljane, a village 13 km northwest of Benkovac. Close to a well called Begovača are archaeological sites from various epochs. On the locality of Crkvina are the remains of an antique farm structure, and above it the ruins of an early Croatian church from the 9th century, a separate type of a three-nave sacral structure in the region of Dalmatia. Around the church, 604 early Croatian graves have been dug out and explored. Earrings and rings from the 9th-15th century have been found in the graves.
Donji Kašići, a village 20 km northwest of Benkovac. On the locality of Manastirine are the remains of an early Croatian church of a circular ground-plan with six apses, built on the remains of an antique structure. On several localities around the village (Glavčurak, Razbojine, Maklinovo Brdo) the remains of early Croatian necropolises have been found, and on Čerinac the remains of a small church built in Romanesque style.
Donji Lepuri, a village 12 km southeast of Benkovac. Below the church of St. Martin (destroyed in 1992, during the Homeland War), the remains of a monumental early Christian church from the 6th century have been found, on whose foundations are the remains of a church from the early Croatian period (9th c.); around the church are stelae.
Kula Atlagića, a village 4.5 km northwest of Benkovac. Fragments of exquisite stone furniture (now kept in Split, Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments) originate from the church of St. Peter, bearing early Romanesque features. The church of St. Nicholas was built in 1444-1446 by masters from Zadar. The church is being reconstructed after destruction in 1992, during the Homeland War.
Medviđa, a village 20 km northeast of Benkovac. It was probably a Roman habitation called Hadra remains of Roman thermae and other structures, as well as the traces of a road which lead to another Roman settlement, Clambetae - Obrovac, have been found. Next to the church of St. John is a mediaeval necropolis with 40 stelae.
Nadin, a village 10 km northwest of Benkovac. Nedinum, a settlement of a hill-fort type, was the seat of the Liburnia municipality; it was granted the status of a town as early as the Augustan times. The remains of walls built of megalithic blocks, most probably dating back to the 1st century, have been preserved until today. Especially important among the finds is a stone votive monument of the local goddess Latra. The settlement was restored in the Middle Ages and ancient fortifications were reconstructed at the time of Turkish rule.
Ostrovica, a village 18 km southeast of Benkovac. On top of the hill, a fortified town was erected in the Middle Ages, owned by the Bribir dukes of Šubić until the mid-14th century. Several early Croatian graves (Carolingian spurs, 9th c. and jewellery) have been discovered around Ostrovica, as well as fragments of early Croatian church furniture made of stone (next to the church of St. Anthony), fragments of Gothic inscriptions, enamelled vases and late mediaeval coins.
Podgrađe, a hamlet 6 km east of Benkovac. In Roman times it was the town of Asseria (with municipal constitution); the forum with a capitol had an original position and architectural design (erected on the edge of walls, open toward the south). Trajan's triumphal arch was integrated into the main town gate at the beginning of the 2nd century. One of the workshops manufacturing specific tombstones - so-called Liburnian "cipusi"- was active in Asseria.
Polača, a village 12 km southwest of Benkovac. It was mentioned in the 11th century as the seat of the early Croatian county of Sidraga. On a plateau called Bičina Glavica are the remains of prehistoric walls and the foundations of an early Christian church which houses several graves and fragments of early Christian church furniture made of stone. Several Roman tombstones and votive monuments with inscriptions have been found on the locality of Bičina, and southwest of Glavica the ruins of a structure mentioned in records under the name Palatinum. In the fields, on the locality of Dvorine, are the remains of a mediaeval habitation.
Smilčić, a village in the region of Ravni Kotari, 16 km northwest of Benkovac. Remains from the Neo-lithic and from Illyrian times have been found at several locations (Neolithic habitation, one of the richest Neolithic sites in Croatia). The period of Roman rule left traces of numerous structures, inscriptions and graves. There are also remains of early Croatian settlements, churches and graveyards. Mediaeval settlements were devastated by the Turks in the 16th and the 17th centuries; the present settlement was formed after Turkish wars. Several fortified farm structures or landowners' mansions from the 17th and the 18th centuries have been preserved, such as the one of the Zadar family Tebaldi.
Šopot, a village in Ravni Kotari, 2 km southwest of Benkovac. The remains of an early mediaeval church have been found on the locality of Crkvina, as well as fragments of an altar partition with "pleter" (interlacery ornaments) and parts of inscriptions. Especially important are the fragments of the inscriptions mentioning Duke Branimir, as comes and dux of Croats. Near the church is a cemetery, used in the period between the 9th and the 16th centuries.

6.BETINA, a village and harbour on the north-eastern coast of the island of Murter, at the northern entrance into the Murter Channel.
Betina was first mentioned in the 16th century, when it was founded by refugees who found shelter from the Turks. The parish church of St. Francis was built at the beginning of the 17th century; it was extended and reconstructed on several occasions and in the mid-18th century a bell tower was added to it. - In the vicinity of Betina, on the Gradina hill, a small mediaeval church of Our Lady of Gradina has been preserved.

7.BIBINJE, a town and harbour in northern Dalmatia, 6 km southeast of Zadar.
Betina was first mentioned in the 13th century under the name Bibanum. The parish church of St. Roch (Rocco) was built in 1673 on the location of an earlier structure and extended in 1854; features a classicist façade. Remains of antique structures have been found on the location of Banska Punta, and on Cape Pulja the remains of the St. John's church from 1376.

8.BIOGRAD NA MORU (Biograd on the Sea), a town and port in northern Dalmatia, 28 km south of Zadar.
Biograd na Moru was first mentioned in the mid-10th century (Constantine Porphyrogenitus) as a Croatian town. In the 11th century it was the seat of Croatian kings. Around 1059 it was the seat of a diocese; in the same year the Benedictine monks' monastery of St. John was founded and in 1069 the nuns' monastery of St. Thomas. In 1102 Koloman was crowned the Croatian king here and in 1125 the town was destroyed by the Venetians. It also suffered much damage during the Venetian-Turkish wars, par-ticularly in 1646.
The core of the ancient habitation was located on a small peninsula. Until the end of the 19th century, the town had walls with circular towers. The remains of the cathedral, a three-nave basilica, were destroyed, and the remains of the monastery church of St. John, also a three-nave basilica, have been explored and conserved. The church of St. Thomas has been preserved only in fragments. Outside the ancient settlement, the ruins of a smaller one-nave church with an apse have been found and close to it also early Croatian graves. The parish church of St. Anastasia, built in 1761, features Baroque altars, one of which is of gold-plated wood.
Outside the ancient settlement are also the small churches of St. Roch (Rocco) and St. Anthony (1850). The broader area features also prehistoric sites and the remains of an antique aqueduct. The Town Museum houses an archaeological collection with prehistoric, antique and early Croatian finds, as well as a collection of ships' cargo from the end of the 16th century.

9.BIOKOVO, a mountain along the central part of the Dalmatian coast. In the north-west, the Dupci Pass (288 m) separates Biokovo from the Omiš part of Dinara Mountain; in the south-east, a steep limestone mountain range continues all the way to Baćina, i.e. to the area around the Neretva mouth (36 km long, up to 9.5 km wide). Biokovo descends toward the sea in very steep and bare limestone rocks, under which is a narrow and green littoral belt. Major peaks include: Sv. Ilija (St. Elias) (1,640 m), Šibenik (1,314 m), Štropac (1,145 m), Vršac (1,411 m), Sinjal (1,333 m). Only a couple of trails for people and animals lead along limestone cliffs. Sparse forests, barren karst valleys and scanty pastures offer rather limited resources. Permanent and temporary water sources appear on the point of contact between limestone rocks and the Primorje flysh zone, important for the villages and crop farming. Coastal settlements developed in the 19th century (Makarska, Baška Voda), winning an important role in traffic and trade after the construction of roads around Biokovo. In recent times, beauties of the landscape under Biokovo and tameness of its littoral attract many foreign visitors, facilitating thus a more rapid development of tourism.
The religious feast at the chapel of St. George (on the very top of Sveti Jure) is held on the last Saturday in July.

10.BIŠEVO, an island in the south Dalmatian archipelago, southwest of the island of Vis. The hilly island, of limestone formation, reaches 140 m in its south-eastern part (Straženica). In the middle of the island is a small field with vines and olive-groves. The coast is characterized by a number of caves, the largest of them being Medvidina and Modra Spilja (Blue Cave). Chief occupations are fishing and viticulture. Many tourists visit the island to see the famous Blue Cave.
The Benedictine monastery of St. Sylvester was founded in 1050 by Ivan Grlić from Split. Due to pirate attacks, two centuries later, the monastery relocated to Komia on the island of Vis. The remains of the original church of St. Sylvester from the 11th century may be seen next to the monastery ruins. The present church contains a part of the inscription by a priest named Ivan, built into the present structure, as well as a fragment of a Greek inscription from ancient times.
The island of Biševo is a favourite destination of excursionists from Vis but also from other Dalmatian islands. Thanks to fast boats it is reached very easily from more distant places and a half-day or one-day excursion will be a pleasant experience to everyone. The island has several caves, the most famous being the Blue Cave in the Balun Cove. It resembles the cave on Capri, Italy, but is much more attractive and luxuriant. It has been accessible since 1884 and can be reached only by boat. On a sunny day, when the sea is calm, especially at noontime, sunbeams penetrate through an underwater opening into the Blue Cave, reflect from the sea bottom and illuminate the cave with blue and the items in the sea with silver colour.

11. BLACA, a cove west of Bol, on the southern coast of the island of Brač.
It was founded in the mid-16th century by the priests from Poljica, who fled from the Turks. The hermitage consists of several smaller structures, erected at various times, connected by corridors and stairs. The church was built in the 16th century and refurbished in Baroque style. The hermitage houses a large library, portraits from the 18th century, several Baroque paintings, a collection of old rifles of Blaca seamen - used for defence against the pirates, Glagolitic missals and a small printing works. In 1926 there was an astronomical station, founded by Father Niko Miličević.
Blaca may be reached by sea or by trail leading from the asphalt road to Vidova Gora (15 min).

12. BLACE, a village on the mouth of the Neretva river, 13 km southeast of Ploče.
In front of the village is an islet (populated already in Roman times) with a church built at the turn of Romanesque into Gothic period, containing also the ruin of a hermitage.

13. BLATO, a town in the interior of the island of Korčula (4-odd km from the coast), 7 km southeast of Vela Luka.
Remains of the Junianum estate date back to Roman times. The oldest structures are the graveyard church of the Holy Cross and the church of St. Jerome, built in Romanesque-Gothic styles (14th c.). The mediaeval parish church of All Saints was extended in the 17th century (by stone-masons from Korčula). It features marble altars. At the beginning of the 18th century a classicist chapel of St. Vicenza was built, with the saint's luxuriant tomb. The altarpieces (All Saints and Madonna with Child), painted on wood, are works by the Renaissance master Girolamo da Santacroce. The old loggia, mentioned as early as the 15th century, was replaced by a new one, made in 1700 by a Korula stone-mason, Spaso Foretić. The Renaissance-Baroque citadel of the Arnerić family houses the Town Museum. Several Baroque mansions of Korčula noblemen are especially interesting within the complexes of folk architecture. In Zablaće, west of Blato, is an interesting one-nave church of Sts. Cosmas and Damian from the 12th century. Several small mediaeval churches in the surroundings are mentioned also: St. Mary in Polje (1338), St. Martin in Mala Krtinja (around 1346) and St. Michael in Dugi Pod (1346).

14. BOBOVIŠĆA, a village on the western side of the island of Brač, about 1 km southeast of the Bobovišća Cove; population 62. Chief occupations include farming, vine and olive growing, livestock breeding. Bobovišća is located on a regional road.
The hamlet of Bobovišća na Moru (Bobovišća on the Sea) developed on the coast. The inner part of the harbour is well protected.
Roman and Byzantine archaeological sites have been found in the harbour and Greek-Illyrian artefacts and weapons in the nearby Vičja Luka (5th-4th c. BC). On a hill above Bobovišća are the fortified Renaissance-Baroque castle of the Gligo-Marinčević family, the old house of the Nazor family and the new house of Vladimir Nazor. The monument to this poet is a work by the sculptor M. Ostoja.

15. BOL, a town and harbour on the southern side of the island of Brač, at the foot of Vidova Gora (778 m) and Dratevo Brdo (627 m), in a fertile field with permanent sources of potable water.About 5 km west of Bol is the village of Murvica, above which is a deserted monastery with a cave church.
Bol developed on the location of a Roman habitation (early Christian sarcophagi, remains of a Roman water cistern above Zlatni rat); in AD 827 it was destroyed by the Saracens. Fragments of "pleter" (interlacery ornaments) have been preserved in the church of St. John (probably from the 11th c.) and in the wall around the Dominican monastery. In the 15th century, a castle with luxuriantly adorned Gothic windows on the southern front was built along the pier. The Jeličić house dates back to the Renaissance, and the citadel on the coast to the beginning of the 17th century. The park of the Martinis-Marchi family has also been partly preserved; it is a rare horticultural monument in Dalmatia dating from the 17th century. The church of Our Lady of Karmen (retarded Renaissance) was reconstructed in Baroque style in 1785. On Cape Glavica is the church of the Dominican monastery (founded in 1475), a one-nave structure with the Gothic vault, later extended with another nave. The main altar featured a painting of Madonna with Child and Saints (now kept at the monastery museum), a work by one of Tintoretto's disciples. On the cassette-styled ceiling below the choir are illusionist paintings of the Baroque painter Tripo Kokolja from 1713 (Apotheosis of St. Dominic). The bell tower dates back to 1751; the remains of an old cloister may be seen in the monastery garden. The monastery keeps a collection of artefacts and works of art (paintings, manuscripts, incunabula, about 6,000 ancient coins). The Art Gallery "Branko Dešković" is situated in a Baroque palace.

16. BOŽAVA, a village and small harbour on the north-eastern coast of the island of Dugi Otok (Long Island), next to the rather uncultivated Božava field.
Božava was first mentioned in 1327 under the name Bosane. It is assumed that the parish church dates back to the 9th century; it houses three Gothic processional crucifixes from the 14th and the 15th centuries (works by Zadar goldsmiths Stjepan and Pavao Petrov Kotoranin). The graveyard church of St. Nicholas was built in the 9th or 10th century (fragments of the altar partition from early Croatian times; the lintel with the St. Nicholas relief and the inscription 1469; the Gothic wooden crucifix from the 15th c.). On top of the Nediljno peninsula is a small church of St. Nediljica (Holy Trinity), mentioned in the 13th century. On a small hill of Dumbovica is the church of the Nativity of Our Lady. Along some houses on the coast one can see their yards enclosed by stone fences, with loopholes, built in the 18th century for the purpose of defence against the pirates.

17. BRAČ, the largest island of the central Dalmatian group of islands, the third largest among the Adriatic islands.
Brač was inhabited as early as the Neolithic (Kopačina Cave between Donji Humac and Supetar), featuring also the archaeological sites from the Bronze and Iron Ages (hill-forts Rat near Ložišća, Kaštilo above Bol, Škrip - as the major fortification, Velo and Malo Gradišće, Hum, Gradac, tumuli in the vicinity of Nerežišća, Pražnice, Gornji and Donji Humac and elsewhere) and from the period of Greek colonization (Vičja Vala). The first known settlers were the Illyrians (the ancient name of Brač, Brattia, most probably originates from the Illyrian word brentos: deer). The Roman period has also left many traces (summer mansions, tombs) not only in the interior of the islands but also on the coast; the quarries near Škrip were exploited already during Diocletian's reign. In the early Middle Ages Brač came under Byzant, to be taken by the Slavs from the Neretva region in the 9th century, upon which it was annexed to the Croatian state. Due to a constant threat of the pirates, the population gradually abandoned its coastal habitations and withdrew to the interior of the island (Nerežišća, Donji Humac, Škrip, Gornji Humac, Podhume, Gradac, etc.). In the 18th century Brač was under the rule of the town of Omiš, to come under the town of Split in 1240; in the 14th century Brač acknowledged the rule of the Hungarian-Croatian king Louis I, then the Bosnian king Tvrtko I and Duke Hrvoje Vukčić, having being granted broad autonomy. In the period 1420-1797 Brač was under the Venetians, who confirmed the earlier privileges of Brač. After the fall of Venice it came under Austria (until 1806); for a short period of time it was also the Russian marine base for the northern part of the Adriatic, after that it was under the French rule and then until 1918 under Austria.
Some ten sanctuaries date back to the early Christian times (the three-foil church in Sutivan, the three-nave basilica with the baptistery in Povlja and Postira, Supetar). The first churches in pre-Romanesque style appeared in the 10th century (St. Nicholas above Sumartin, St. Michael above Dol); after that sacral buildings started to follow the styles of the development of the Croatian architecture with Romanesque features (St. George above Brač, St. Elias near Donji Humac). The 15th century was characterized by more complex architectural forms (a summer mansion in Bol) and the Renaissance order was applied in the construction of the church in Postira and the Dominican church in Bol. The Baroque-style architecture saw its best moments in the construction of churches (škrip, Ložišća, Milna, Nerežišća). The high level of architectural design was maintained in the 19th century as well (Ložišća - bell tower, church in Selca). The construction in the 20th century consisted mainly in a number of accommodation and other tourist facilities (Bol, Supetar), including also rest homes (Povlja, Bobovišća, Splitska).

18. BRBINJ, a village in the cove of the same name on the north-eastern coast of the island of Dugi Otok (Long Island), 12 km south of Božava.
The parish church of Sts. Cosmas and Damian was first mentioned in 1195. Petar Franić-Hacuc, a constructor from Zadar, was also working on it in the period 1435-1442. The south-eastern part of the village houses the ruins of a fortified castle of the Soppe family, with a chapel from the 16th century. The remains of an early Christian church are found on an islet called Utra (školj), northwest of the village.

19. BRELA, a town in central Dalmatia, situated on the Makarska Riviera, at the foot of Biokovo.
The town of Berulia, mentioned also by Constantine Porphyrogenitus (10th c.), emerged at this location. The present town developed in recent times by migration of the population from small villages and hamlets under Biokovo Mountain. The parish church from the 19th century was built on the location of an earlier Baroque church; next to the cemetery is the mediaeval necropolis with eight tombstones adorned with reliefs (shields and swords). The church houses several tombstones from the 18th century.

20. BRIJESTA, a village and harbour in the cove bearing the same name on the north-eastern coast of the Pelješac Peninsula, 8 km southeast of Drače.
A quadrangular tower, built for defence against the pirates, was erected in 1617. The cemetery features a small Baroque church of St. Liberan, with a bell tower on the main front ("na preslicu").

21. BRIST, a village and small harbour in the cove of the same name on the coast of the southern Makar-ska littoral, 8 km north of Ploče.
The old parish church, dedicated to St. Marguerite, was built in 1741 and houses the tomb of the Kačić family from the 18th century. Near the church is a large, luxuriantly adorned Bogomil tombstone. In the hamlet of Kačići, in the immediate vicinity of the old church, is the birth-house of the great Croatian poet Father Andrija Kačić Miošić. Several late Baroque mansion structures were built close to the sea in the 18th century. The new parish church of St. Mary was erected in 1870, close to the sea and in the neo-Romanesque order; next to it is also the monument to Father A. Kačić Miošić, a work by I. Meštrović.

22. BROCE, a village and small harbour on the western coast of the narrow part of the Ston Channel on the Pelješac Peninsula, 3 km south of Ston.
The first settlement was established by the inhabitants of Dubrovnik in 1349. According to the design by a Frenchman, Olivier, an extension of the town ramparts of Ston in the direction of Broce started in 1478; however, the works were suspended. A Dominican monastery with a church was built in 1629, close to several houses in Gothic and Renaissance style. Other churches are The Annunciation, St. Felix and All Saints with a cemetery. Southeast of Broce are the ruins of the house and chapel of Ivan Rabljanin, the most famous Dubrovnik gun founder.

23. BRSEČINE, a village in the north-western part of the Dubrovnik littoral, about 1 m from the cove bearing the same name, 25 km northwest of Dubrovnik.
In the cove is the summer mansion of the Zuzorić family from the 16th century and above the cove the fortified mansion of the Ohmučević-Bizzaro family, with a chapel and a park, from the 17th century. The village also features the church of St. George and next to it the ruins of a small church of St. Stephen.

24. CAVTAT, a town and port in the southern part of the Župa Bay, 20 km southeast of Dubrovnik.
Originally it was a Greek settlement called Epidauros. Around 228 BC it was under the Romans and later became a Roman colony. The name Cavtat originates from Civitas vetus, as the fugitives in the newly established Dubrovnik used to call their first habitation. Archaeological finds from those times include the remains of a Roman theatre (?), as well as tombs and the remains of a Roman road above the present town. The ancient town was destroyed at the beginning of the 7th century, during the invasions of the Avars and the Slavs. - The remains of town ramparts toward the mainland and the Renaissance-style Duke's Palace, a work by local masters, have been preserved from the 15th/16th century. The Baroque parish church features wooden altars. The parsonage houses an art gallery. The Gothic-Renaissance Franciscan church keeps a polyptych (beginning of the 16th c.) by Vicko Lovrin, while the monastery safeguards an art collection. The collection of Baltazar Bogišić contains numerous graphics by domestic and foreign artists, ethnographical objects and a small archaeological collection of stone monuments and fragments. The large library keeps also several extremely valuable books. The house of Vlaho Bukovac keeps a collection of his paintings and mementoes. On the cemetery is the mausoleum of the Račić family, a work by Ivan Meštrović (1920-1930) and in the town the monument of Baltazar Bogišić.
Mrkan, an unpopulated island in the vicinity of Cavtat. Since 1975 it has been a special ornithological reserve comprising an area of 0.4 sq km; nesting place of "klaukovac" seagulls.
The small pre-Romanesque church of St. Michael (Sv. Mihovil) was built on the remains of a late antique structure (probably memorial). On the part of the ruins of the nearby Benedictine monastery, a bishop's summer residence was built, today also in ruins.

25. CISTA PROVO, a village in the region of Imotski, so called Imotska Krajina, 18 km northwest of Imotski.
Lovreć, a village 2 km southeast of Cista Provo. The main altar of the parish church of the Holy Spirit features valuable Baroque statues of St. Sylvester and St. Thomas, a work by an anonymous Venetian sculptor. Graveyards with stelae are found at three different locations: near the old parish church (from 1759), on Čatrnja and in Markuzina Ograda.
On the locality of Crkvina, a small early Christian church and a memoria have been found, as well as the fragments of an altar partition. The remains of a necropolis of stelae have been discovered at three different locations, comprising 109 monuments. Many of them were adorned with figures.

26. ČARA, a village in the central part of the island of Korčula, 4 km east of Smokvica, at the foot of the hill called Končar.
The church of St. Mary in the Field dates back to the first half of the 14th century (restored in 1377, at the end of the 16th c. and in 1680), featuring a broad nave and a large semicircular apse. On the main altar, put together in the 18th century, are seven Gothic alabaster reliefs from England (14th-15th c.). The parish church of St. Peter was first mentioned in the 15th century; a three-nave structure in the beginning, it was reconstructed in the 18th century, when a bell tower was added to it. Apart from a golden chalice in Gothic style, the church also keeps an altarpiece by Leandro Bassano. A 1770 loggia stood next to the church, however it was pulled down. The Baroque Španić citadel from 1674 has been completely disfigured and deformed.

27. ČIOVO, an island in the central Dalmatian archipelago.
The Latin name of the island (Bua, Boa, Bavo, Bubus) is probably of Illyrian origin. The Slavic name of Čiovo is related with the name of the eastern cape of the island of Caput Jovis. In the Middle Ages, Čiovo had a number of villages, hermits' abodes and leprosaria. Traces of the pre-Romanesque church of St. Peter have been found near Slatine, in the Supetar cove. The mediaeval church of St. Maurice has been preserved in Žedno. In Čiovo is also the pre-Romanesque church of Our Lady near the Sea. The population of Čiovo increased in the 15th century through the settlement of refugees who fled from the Turks. Simultaneously, the suburban areas of Trogir also extended on Čiovo.
The church and the Dominican monastery of the Holy Cross (5 km from Trogir) were built in the 15th century by the masters Ivan Drakanović and Nikola Mladinov. The monastery features a nice cloister; the polychrome vault of the dining room has been preserved, as well as the paintings by Matija Pončun and other. The Franciscan mo-nastery of St. Anthony keeps a painting by Palma the Younger and a sculpture of St. Magdalene by Ivan Duknović. Along the coast is the church of St. Jerome. On the eastern part of the island is the hermitage church of Our Lady of Prizidnica the painted Gothic crucifix and the Byzantine icon are now kept at the parish church in Slatine. Along the south-western side of Čiovo is a small island called Fumija, with the remains of the late antique or early mediaeval church of St. Fumija and farm buildings of the Benedictine monks from Trogir.
The island is actually an extension of Trogir but also a kind of breakwater for the Kaštela Gulf. Along with vacation opportunities, Čiovo also offers a number of tourist attractions and historical monuments. Additional visitor opportunities are provided in the nearby towns of Trogir and Split.
Arbanija, a village on the island of Čiovo, 4 km east of Trogir. It features the famous monastery of the Holy Cross and in the nearby Žedno (1 km) is the mediaeval church of St. Maurice.



--------------------